Late last year, My Hang Lam, a passionate student of commerce, was selected to participate in the well-regarded academic enrichment program ‘sheCommerce’. Run by the University of Melbourne’s Faculty of Business and Economics, the program is targeted at female students who are passionate about leadership and pursuing a meaningful career in business where they can impact change. My Hang had the pleasure of attending an exciting and immersive camp at one of Uni Melb’s residential colleges where she engaged in mentoring with current Bachelor of Commerce students, met like-minded peers and participated in various workshops and seminars delivered by world-class academics and business leaders. Here’s her first-hand account of her incredible experience;

“Upon arrival at the University College, a personalised Melbourne Uni sheCommerce hoodie and many other goodies were given. As soon as I stepped into the open space, it was buzzing with excitement and laughter. This was my first impression of the camp, and I knew immediately that this was going to be a unique experience. In fact, it was a blast!

Everyone was placed in a designated group of 5 where we all worked together throughout the camp to complete our project: creating a promotional video about sheCommerce with our chosen target audience in mind.

Each day at Melbourne Uni was super fun, filled with workshops and interesting presentations which allowed me to catch a glimpse into what the Bachelor of Commerce was about as well as what a day in the life of a university student felt like. The first day was learning about the field of Economics, the second was about Business and Innovation and the last day was about Trading and Finance. The coolest part was that all the workshops were led by different professors such as Associate Professor Andrea Lu and alumni’s such as Dr Shane Johnson from the Treasury.

The highlight of the camp would be spending time with other female camp participants (especially those in my group) who would somehow become my greatest friends during the duration of the camp. We got to walk around the campus, ask the student mentors and ambassadors about Uni life, participate in group trivia (and even received a prize for winning 2nd place), attend a movie night together, play games in the games room, eat dinner together, and much more. Despite not knowing anyone there, it was a fun and insightful experience. I highly recommend this program to any future year 9 or year 11 female who is interested in the profession of commerce!” My Hang Lam (12C)

Mr Dane Stammers – Psychology and Commerce Teacher | Commerce Learning Area Leader