From the Principal Class Team
It is a very busy time for all of our community.
Year 12 Orientation for 2024 has just finished, Year 10 exams are beginning, and Year 9 have done their Semester Tests. Year 7 and 8 are finalising assessments, and planning is well under way for 2024.
Thank you to everyone for the way they have managed all of this. Behaviour and participation on exams have been excellent. Well done all!
Facilities up Date
We are currently having the F wing reblocked. This maintenance has meant that classes and staff have been moved, and there have been disruptions to other buildings.
We would like to thank everyone for their understanding in managing these disruptions as these important works are undertaken.
There is at present an increase in community transmission of COVID-19 in Victoria.
You can help us keep our school as safe as possible by taking 2 important steps:
- Ensure your COVID-19 vaccinations are up to date. Information on how and where to get vaccinated is available on the Get vaccinated webpage.
- If your child shows symptoms of COVID-19, please ensure they stay home and get tested. The easiest way to test is to use a rapid antigen test (RAT). We have RATs available at our school for collection. Free RATs are also available from your local council where you can collect 2 packs of 5 RATs and an extra 2 packs for each person in your household. People with disability and their carers can get 4 packs of 5 RATs. You are not required to have a Medicare card and you can collect RATs as many times as you need. You can also buy RATs at supermarets, pharmacies and other retailers.If your child has symptoms but tests negative, please ensure they stay home until they no longer have symptoms.If the RAT test result is positive, please ensure they stay home for at least 5 days and until there are no symptoms.
Thank you for your support – these steps will help us all stay well
Year 12 Formal
We said a final goodbye to our Year 12 students on Friday 17 November, at their formal held at the Luxor Function rooms. Students dressed up in style and danced the night away, celebrating their time at the College and all they have achieved. They have finished their exams and we wish them all the very best for the next steps in their journey. Many are anxiously awaiting ATARs and study offerings, while others are taking up apprenticeships and work. To all of our Year 12 students we couldn’t be more proud of all you have achieved. We hope you take a little bit of St Albans Secondary College with you into your future and you continue to be part of our Alumni community in the years ahead.
Exams, Orientation, Semester Tests and Reports
We are right in the midst of exam and orientation time at the College. Year 9 finished their semester tests and Year 10 will begin their exams next week with Year 11 Orientation beginning 30 November. Students in Years 7-9 will begin to look at course content and skills in core subjects required for next year and it is important that students stay focused and prepared for learning up until their last day.
Semester 2 reports will be available on December 13. As always, coordinators will be contacting families if we need to meet to discuss the reports or have any concerns about progress. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s coordinator.
In weeks 11 & 12, Year 7 and 8 students will participate in a collaborative, critical thinking project as they imagine what St Albans Secondary College might look like in 100 years. Students will engage in games and activities to spark ideas and test their thinking, develop a survey, plan and justify their ideas, and present their vision of the future to their peers.
Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program Application Outcomes
Close to 2000 applications were received for this prestigious scholarship and the selection panel were highly impressed by the academic performance and community involvement demonstrated by students. Successful applicants of the Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars Program will become part of a supportive university community and peer network through a tailored program of events and activities.
Congratulations to Successful Class of 2025 Kwong Lee Dow Young Scholars
- Minhthu Huynh 10E
- Ricardo Vom 10D
Grade 6 Welcome Evening for Parents and Students
It was wonderful to welcome a large turnout for our annual Grade 6 Welcome evening on Tuesday 21 November. An overview of the range of activities and opportunities as well as the breadth of curriculum were provided during the evening. There was a social meet and greet over a barbecue dinner provided by the Junior Sub School team who we thank for their support of the evening. Thanks also to Marlene Cassar and Lauren Honeycombe for their organisation of the event and the leadership team who provided more detailed information on all that the school has to offer.
The transition to secondary school is an important milestone for Grade 6 students and we are pleased to welcome such an enthusiastic group along with their parents. These evenings are always well received and provide a great opportunity for the school to build strong connections with families so we thank all those who attended for their participation. If you have a child coming to the School next year and were unable to attend, please contact the school if you require any information.
End of Year Student Free Days and Dates
The following are student free days in Term 4:
- Monday 4 December – Report Writing Day
- Wednesday 20 December – Curriculum Day
The following are the last day of term for each Year Level with dismissal times:
- Year 11 – Thursday 23 November (Dismissal 3:10pm)
- Year 10 – Friday 8 December (Dismissal 1:30pm)
- Year 9 – Wednesday 13 December (Dismissal 3:10pm)
- Year 7 & 8 – Tuesday 19 December (Dismissal 12:40pm)